Activities like exercise and sports cause tendinitis, muscle strain, or grave injuries to the cartilage and ligaments. This can trigger knee pain over time. Even people who grow old struggle with knee pain. The severity and location of knee pain differ. Mild pain can hinder an active lifestyle, while some struggle with mobility limitations.
Podiatrist in Irvine Orange County is dedicated to enhancing foot health and trauma through therapies and preventative care. The conditions and injuries triggering severe knee pain that the podiatry clinic treats include –
- Knee ligament injuries – Ligaments connect the lower leg bone [fibula & tibia] to the thigh bone [femur] and maintain knee stability. Tears or sprains in the knee ligaments occur to the PCL, ACL, and MCL due to sports injuries or car crashes. Surgery is required to treat ligament injuries as you will struggle with movements and coordination along with crushing knee pain.
- Meniscus tears – Cartilage tissue covers bone ends. Knee cartilage has two menisci [Medial & lateral] situated on both sides of the joint. Menisci tear can occur with a sudden turn or twist. It is also common as you grow old because the cartilage becomes thin and weak.
- Knee arthritis – A chronic joint pain and inflammation worsen as time passes and need surgery. Common arthritis types are rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis. There is swelling and stiffness in the knee and you struggle in bending the knee.
Knee pain impacts more than 25% of adults and can affect people at any age. Prescription medication and physical therapy are efficiently used to treat mild pain, but severe pain will need knee replacement surgery.
People struggling with knee pain management but who desire to delay the surgery can choose stem cell therapy as an option. Stem cells hold growth factors, so it helps to heal the bones and tissues damaged due to arthritis. The Podiatrist at Irvine has more than 20 years of experience in treating feet and ankle issues as well as practicing stem cell therapy.
Stem cell therapy for knee pain
In stem cell therapy, the doctor takes patients’ stem cell samples and re-implants them within the injured portion. In stem cell for knee treatment, sample cells are taken from fat tissue or bone marrow and injected inside the knee joints. The doctor first discusses the stem cell source with the patient before starting treatment.
Benefits of stem cell therapy for knee pain
- Reduces pain from past injuries or osteoarthritis
- Lessens the joint stiffness
- Enhances mobility
- Decreases pain medication dependency
Majority of patients, who chose stem cell for arthritis experienced quick recovery with less or no side effects. However, the doctor will even discuss the possible drawbacks.
- Bacterial infection risk
- Swelling, redness, and pain at the injection site
- Effectiveness percentage may differ
Knee replacement is an invasive surgery, so people choose stem cell therapy for their achy knees. Lifestyle changes like weight loss along with stretching & strengthening exercises can enhance the stem cell therapy results even more. You don’t need to endure knee pain all life but visit the podiatry clinic in Irvine!